[TR] Silent blocks?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Nov 3 11:42:47 MST 2007

> 3) Replaced the "Silentblocs" with free-turning pivots.
>
> I have seen these mentioned several times.  Forgive my
> ignorance but what are they, where are they, and what is
> their function?

'Silentbloc' is actually a generic term, but in this case refers to the
joint between the center link (aka center tie rod) and Pitman arm (aka drop
arm), plus the joint between the center link and the idler arm (aka idler
lever).  They consist of a center steel pin and an outer steel sleeve, with
rubber bonded between the two steel parts.  The design forces the rubber to
distort as you turn the steering wheel from side to side.  Only found on the
TR2-3B (Mayflower, etc.), not the later cars with R&P steering.

My goal was simply to find something that would last a bit longer, as mine
seemed to fail in just a few years.  However, it may be that the replacement
design also lowers steering effort, since those rubber sleeves no longer
have to distort as you turn the wheel.

The ones I used last time came from British Frame and Engine (who I believe
got them from Racetorations in the UK).  They have a steel center pin that
rides in a brass bushing.  Still available, still kind of pricey ($100/pair
on
http://www.britishframeandengine.com/parts1.html )

However, Joe Alexander (aka ARE) has decided to reproduce them using Delrin
instead of brass.  I've heard you can order these direct from TRF now, but
don't seem to find them on their website ... maybe someone else can chime in
with a TRF part number & price.  I got mine directly from Joe by emailing
him at N197TR3 at cs.com .  Sorry, I'm not sure of the price (I traded him some
other parts he needed), but it's substantially less than the unit from
BFE/Racetorations.

HTH
Randall