[TR] TR2-3 steering worm installation

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Nov 3 06:45:33 MST 2007

> I got $o far into my rebuilt box by the time I realized I
> should have put  in a rack that I sprained my back kicking
> myself in the a$$.

OTOH when I finally "rebuilt" my steering box, I was so happy with the
results that I wondered why I hadn't done it years before.  I even kept the
old worm & bearings (even though they both showed signs of wear and damage),
just replacing the peg, bushing & seal.  And my original turn signal control
still cancels (a feature that is lost with the R&P conversion).

Not sure exactly what made the difference, since I made some other changes
at the same time, but the result was great.  Other things I did :
1) Filled the steering box with Valvoline full synthetic gear oil (it leaked
too badly before to use this expensive oil).
2) Rebuilt the front suspension with Nylatron and brass bushings.
3) Replaced the "Silentblocs" with free-turning pivots.
4) Checked carefully that all pivots moved freely at each stage of assembly.

Randall