[TR] OT? Replacing Temp spare tires? (tubes)

Steven Newell steven at newellboys.com
Thu Nov 1 07:07:39 MST 2007

FRED E THOMAS wrote:

>>Can you put a tube into one of the temporary  spares?
>>

>==========================================================================================================
>Yes you can and should put a tube in the spare, problem is trying to find
>any tire outlet that sells T/R's size tubes, a very big surprise is awaiting
>owners, major tire outlets do not carry our size tubes.  BTDT way too many
>times, a lot of talk about this at VTRSE last week.  "FT"

I can find TR4-sized innertubes at local Pep Boys and CarQuest stores
around metro Denver. Well, I should say, I usually find only one in
stock at a time. The quality varies too; one thin-feeling CarQuest tube
split on a seam within a week, in the first 1/2 hour of day one of a TSD
rally it turned out. If I were planning to replace my tires all around,
I would order a set of tubes from Moss or TRF and take them with me to
the shop for mounting.

I might take Fred's good point a step further -- it's worth adding an
inner tube to your travel spares kit, as when you run over a sharp
pointy thing in Nowhere Close, Montana, there likely won't be a tube in
your size at the nearest Discount Tire.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2