[TR] Wedge 5 speed gearbox issues

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Jul 31 06:04:02 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/30/2007 10:32:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
mark at bradakis.com writes:
> So this fellow brings a car into the shop, it has a Rover SD1
> V8 mated to a TR8 5 speed gearbox.  The issue is that about
> 3/4ths of the time the box shifts fine.  But a bit too frequently
> it is really difficult to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, or to get it
> into first and finding reverse can be a bit troublesome.  The
> clutch system seems to be working just fine and is most
> likely not part of the problem.

There was a similar complaint on the wedge list.  The problem seemed to have
resolved itself with no intervention from the owner but diagnoses ranged from
poor lubrication in the exposed shifter mechanism to a foreign object caught
in same.

I forwarded the question to the wedge list for more input.

Dave

PS: My 5 speed has worked flawlessly over the last 7 years and 50, 000 miles.
 Hence I'm not much help here.