[TR] TR4 Electronic Ignition Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 30 14:53:53 MDT 2007

> So I was looking at the alternative upgrades for my ignition system,
> which is currently just points.  Looks like I could buy a Petronix kit
> which replaces the points with a shutter and an optical trigger.

The Pertronix uses magnets and a Hall Effect transistor, rather than shutter
and optical trigger.

> But if I open my wallet even farther, I could get a Cranecams Fireball
> XR700 which has an optical trigger as well as an ignition module.
>
> What should I do? What are the pro and cons?  Makes me really want to
> know what's inside that ignition module.

The XR700, like the Pertronix, is a simple "points replacement" device.
Should be equivalent in terms of performance, since the spark energy is
still determined by the coil rather than the module.

Hard to say which is better, IMO.  The Crane unit is slightly more
sophisticated, with things like automatic shutdown when the engine is not
turning (to prevent overheating the coil & module), and a LED on the side to
help with troubleshooting.  But the Pertronix is simpler to install, and
lacks that big module to hide somewhere.

I was disappointed and frustrated with the Crane XR3000 I bought for my TR3A
(which is like the XR700 but has a capacitive-discharge circuit in the
module); but I've heard from lots of other people that had trouble with the
Pertronix.

So if money is a concern, I'd go with the cheaper one.  And carry the parts
to convert back to points if it goes sour on the road.  One nice thing about
points, they almost always give you lots of warning when they go bad.
Electronics are more apt to just stop working, IMO, plus can sometimes cause
really weird problems.

Eg the MSD unit I put on my Chevy, which would sometimes just stop working
for just a minute or two on cold mornings; then work absolutely fine the
rest of the day.  Always worked fine when I started the engine, just long
enough to get out in traffic, then it would die at idle, waiting for a
light.  Usually just long enough for me to get out and open the hood (much
to the disgust of the other drivers behind me).  After months of hunting for
the bad connection; I finally replaced the MSD module and the problem
disappeared.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.