[TR] Wobbly wheels; one man's experience

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 17:27:11 MDT 2007

Dear Listers,

About a year ago, in preparation for a 2000 trek around the Great Lakes, I
changed the wheels on my TR3 from 60 spoke Dayton wires to bolt on KN
Minilite replicas, not because of any performance issues, but because it
seemed to have become more and more difficult not only to source proper
tubes, but also to find someone willing to install them.

As I recall, I had a set of 165-15 Dunlops mounted on those wire rims,
probably from the early '90s restoration. Kumho Solus 185/15 are presently
mounted on the new rims. And, yes, I had to revert to the longer wheel studs
to make this change.

It has been the best upgrade I've ever made to the car. As an example, I had
the '3 up to 4500 rpm in 4th this afternoon in overdrive, almost fast enough
to keep up with traffic, without a shimmy, shake, or white knuckles. So I
gained a lot more than the ease of maintenance I was after. I gained better
handling and a much more secure car at Interstate speeds.

No way would I go back to those skinny original wheels and/or tires; not if
I intended to drive the car anyway. Wires are for show and steel wheels are
for recycling as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I have a bunch of TR3 and TR6 wheels free for pickup and a set of
Dayton wires with adapters and knockoffs for sale......

Ed Woods