[TR] front wheel wobble on TR3A

Curt Fisher curtfisher at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 28 20:10:26 MDT 2007

Dear listers,
My front wheels, especially the passenger side wobble and cause a definite
judder when driving. I know there is some play in my steering assembly. I can
grab the front right wheel at 3 and 9 O'clock and move it about 1/3". The
drivers front will move almost 1/4". (Neither wheel has any play when pulling
at 12 and 6 O'clock.)

The suspension has all new Urothane bushings and new wheel bearings that I
think are as tight as they should be. The play all seems to be in the steering
assembly and the suspension seems quite snug.

 I have now replaced all the ball joints, the idler assembly, and the silent
block bushings. I checked the end float (seemed ok) and adjusted the cam mesh
per the Haynes manual instructions. When I tug on the drop arm from the
steering box with everything else disconnected, it seems quite tight and
immovable. When I move the wheel the play looks like it comes partly from
verticle play in the silent block bushings and a small movement of the drop
arm from the steering box.

 I put the new silent block busings in the tie rod with a large hammer,
perhaps pressing would have been better?

I wonder if that amount of play is perhaps not too unusual, and the "wobble"
and "judder" I get is due mostly to out of true wheels?

 The wheels are stock steel discs. The tires are new Kumhos. I'll probably
swap wheels around tomarrow and see it makes any difference. I would be
willing to buy a set of Pannasports if I knew that would fix the problem, but
don't want to waste the money if it won't help.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Is the amount of play I describen excessive for this design?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Curt Fisher

59TR3a
03 Mini Cooper