[TR] Taps & Dies

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Jul 27 12:50:46 MDT 2007

> acekraut11 at aol.com writes:
> > A local hardware store is going out of business and they have a bunch of
> > taps and dies that are 75% off.? I thought it might be wise to pick up some of
> > the more common taps and dies

I wouldn't bother buying them unless they were High Speed Steel.  I have used a lot of hardware-store taps over the years and most of them are rubbish sutible only for cleaning up existing threads in soft metal.

 I also am a fan of "gun" taps, which are cut at a negative angle on the point and push the waste ahead of the tap, preventing the jamming and breakage for which taps are known.  If you are tapping a blind hole, I suggest you start it wth a gun tap and finish it off with a bottoming tap.

From: Dave1massey at cs.com
> And get some tapping oil.

Just don't use it in cast iron. :-)

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,