[TR] [Shop-talk] How to tighten a swaged pin

Kirby Vaughan mrkirbyv at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 20:25:19 MDT 2007

Steve,
I have run into similar problems in the past. Try a socket about the same
diameter as the outside diameter of the swaged side and squeeze it in the
vise. Its hard to mash the center of the rivet but you should be able turn
in the edges of the swage if it doesn't need to go too far. I have also
resorted to drilling a little way into the rivet on the swaged side and then
using a large punch to flare it out then mash it with a vise. I think they
used a hydraulic press to do these originally and a vise won't generate
enough pressure to mash the shaft of the rivet.
Good luck,
Kirby Vaughan