[TR] Inflating Tires w/ Nitrogen?

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Wed Jul 25 08:40:43 MDT 2007

> Nitrogen doesn't react to heat and cold, ergo, the psi remains constant.

I don't believe this is true.  Nitrogen is a gas and at the kinds of
pressures we are talking about it can be considered an ideal gas, with
pressure, temperature and volume expressed according to the relationship:

pV = NRT

where p is the absolute pressure, (lbs/sq ft), V is the volume of gas (cu
ft), N is the number of Moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant and T
is the absolute temperature, degR.  In that air is about 79% Nitrogen, I
would expect Nitrogen to behave very similarly to air regarding pressure
changes due to temperature differences.

Mike