[TR] When to change rubber bushings

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 22 07:41:18 MDT 2007

Tony and others,

I was in Senior Management and came up via the Sales and Marketing
organizations. I am by no means a rubber compounder (usually chemists) or an
engineer. My knowledge is limited to identifying the need for development and
having the right folks in my organization assigned to the task and making
certain that we met the various technical requirements identified by our
customer.

As it relates to rubber parts I could be helpful if the original drawings were
available and the material specifications were detailed on the drawings.
Rubber material specifications can be detailed in many ways. The best is what
we referred to as a Line Call Out which was a method of detailing the various
performance characteristics required of the compound and the parameters that
the compound must meet. In the absence of a Line Call Out those same
parameters can show up as a table on a drawing or in the various drawing
notes. Unfortunately many times material is spec'ed out as it must meet
specification xxxx dated xx-xx-xx which is located in some manual or book of
specifications. Worse yet would be that the drawing says the material is to be
Company x's compound # xxxx. I suspect that if the original drawings are still
available the material specifications are not. That being the case the
material is then left to the overseas supplier to decide and we have our
problems that are the topic of this discussion.

As it relates to the steering rack boots my guess is that the suppliers are
not using a compound with sufficient plastisizers in the compound and as a
result the elongation is less than needed to expand the boot during
installation. They will fail every time.

I suppose that my help would be better than none at all but my guess is that
there are better qualified folks in this group than me when it comes to rubber
components.

JVV