[TR] When to change rubber bushings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 20 12:55:05 MDT 2007

> This is because rubber isn't rubber anymore. Not genuine rubber-
> rubber anyway. The global demand for rubber far exceeds the
> number of
> rubber trees planted.
> This manually collected crop cannot meet the demand of 6
> billion people.

Thing is, cars haven't used natural rubber (for the most part) for the last
70-80 years.  World demand outstripped supply way back in the 1920's,
leading to the development of Neoprene in 1930, and Buna-S in 1933.  WW2 cut
off the US's supply of natural rubber, and we've been using synthetics ever
since.

There are literally hundreds of different synthetic rubbers, though, and
obviously some sources are using either cheaper versions, or not curing them
properly.  Even natural rubber has to be carefully treated to be useable,
and if the treatment isn't done right, it will fall apart rapidly.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.