[TR] When to change rubber bushings

Nolan foxtrapper at ispwest.com
Fri Jul 20 09:40:44 MDT 2007

One of the things I've always found interesting with rubber bushings and
gaskets is the vast difference in the oem quality.  European cars have the
absolute worse.  They tend to start falling apart after just a few years.
At the other end are the American cars.  Those last for forever it seems.
The Japanese cars are pretty good as well, but they don't survive rubbing as
well as the American rubbers.

As for aftermarket replacements, I've had them fail as I'm installing them.
It's quite annoying to watch a new tie-rod end boot split as you're
installing it.  Some were better, and lasted to the end of the week.  India
and Israel sourced pieces seem to be the worse.

As for our Triumphs, I mostly wish someone would make oem equivalent pieces,
not sorta-equivalent pieces.  Especially when it comes to things like window
scrapers and the like.  As in flocked on the inside so they actually slide
on the glass, and rounded edged, not square that feels sharp under your arm.