[TR] Building a 150 hp engine

Rick patton at suscom-maine.net
Mon Jul 16 22:15:37 MDT 2007

Hi Dave,

I also have a supercharged fuel injected TR6. It dynos at 168HP at the rear
wheels making it very close to 200HP at the flywheel. Really scoots and is
tons of fun.

The engine is an original TR6 that I've rebuilt paying attention to details.
The cam is from Integral and designed for supercharging, compression is
7.75, heads are ported and polished, stock rockers, intake and all the
goodies were all built in my home shop. Exhaust is mandrel bent 2.5"
stainless to a Dynomax muffler and it uses a ported stock TR6 twin pipe
exhaust manifold. Engine management computer is a TEC3. If there is anything
you want to know try my web site
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/superengine.htm or drop an email. There are
a couple of rough video clips on the site that were done while tuning with a
stock exhaust, no intercooler, etc.

You asked about loud. I think the exhaust system is loud but others,
including my wife, say it sounds great. Maybe it's just on the edge of
acceptable but I do let off when near a police car. The blower came from a
Mercedes C230 coupe and has an electric clutch like an A/C compressor. A
dash mounted switch turns it, and the BIG noise, on and off. You can really
hear the howl of the blower and it's blow off valves and a definite barking
exhaust note when you stand on it. With the switch off it pretty much drives
like a completely stock 6.

By the way Jamie Maddox who replied earlier has a sweet supercharged TR6 you
can find links to at: http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/schrgr.htm

I do have a video from the dyno session with sound if you'd care to see it.
The file is really large and needs to be uploaded to my site. I'll post a
note once it's up.

Rick Patton
75 TR6sci
http://sidedrafttbi.com/

> In a message dated 7/16/2007 11:36:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> roadwarriordave at hotmail.com writes:
>
> Apart  from the exhaust note, did the Moss supercharged TR-6
> engine iteself
> sound  different????
>

> Dave,
>
> I never drove the car - just heard it idle at a recent car show
> so I can't
> tell you how the motor sounds under real driving conditions.

snip