[TR] TR4 Slipping Clutch: Problem Solved, back on the road.

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 16 18:13:36 MDT 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 07:34 pm, Will Daehler wrote:
> Thanks to the Listers that helped me through my slipping clutch problem on
> my TR4.  The clutch was getting worse and worse, to the point where the car
> was getting too slow and sluggish to drive.
>
> I ordered parts a new clutch kit from TRF, which included the throw out
> bearing, the clutch pressure plate and the clutch disk. AP Driveline
> components, by the way, excellent quality.
>
> By jacking up the car a foot I was able to get at some of the nuts and
> stuff from below.  I had plenty of reference material, like the Haynes and
> the Bentley, and a general idea of what to do.
>
> I did have the flywheel resurfaced for $34 at a place called Car Quest,
> might be a national chain.  I knew I was in the right place when I got
> inside, and there were four men behind the counter, each manning his own
> cash register, and the shortest line was two deep.   Busy place, and the
> guy didn't blink an eye. I picked it up the next morning.
>
> Getting the flywheel back on was not easy, I used a combination of both
> feet, both hands and two by fours sitting on a jack to take the weight.
> Eventually got the bolts started.  Tightening them pulled the flywheel the
> rest of the way on.
>
> Mounting the new clutch pressure plate and disk took just ten minutes with
> the help of the clutch alignment tool.
>
> My buddy Mike helped me wrestle the tranny back in.  I made a tool to help.
> Should sell it on E-Bay now that I'm done with it.  I bored a hole in a six
> inch long 2 X 4.  I put this short block of wood on the hydraulic jack.
> With the drain plug of the tranny sitting in the hole of the wood block,
> this was a pretty close to the center of gravity, and was able to raise and
> lower it to line up with the engine.
>
> The last inch and half took a while, but all of a sudden, whoosh it slid
> into place.  Thirty nuts and bolts later, I was ready for a test drive.
>
> The first shift was in the garage, into first.  I squealed the tires! Left
> a little patch of black tire mark on the concrete.  So the slipping clutch
> problem was solved.
>
> Now my new problem:  Every time I shift, the car lurches forward, and the
> glove box door flips open!
>

> Will in Wisconsin
>
> 63 TR4 Powder Blue

Will,

Great news on the clutch fix. But I have a real question about the glove box
door.

I am guessing your glove box is the early metal painted version.

I too have the same glove box and it closes and opens but could have a bit
tighter fit.

I noticed that on the catch part of the box there is a little hole where the
locking mechanism attaches.

There is a part listed as 613863 as "Buffer, Cubby box lid". Is this the part
that would make the door fit more snug?

Thanks,

Bob with another 63 TR4 but the Cubby box stays closed so far.