[TR] TR3A O/D fine tuning

amcewen2 at cogeco.ca amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jul 16 09:17:21 MDT 2007

I broke the bracket holding the overdrive solenoid when re-installing the
engine/gearbox, I installed a new one after
the engine/GB were (more hassle then actually installing the engine) and the
O/D still works!   However, it doesnt
work every time.

The only pattern Ive found so far is that it engages every time when the
gearbox is cool/cold, but if Ive been
driving for a few miles with O/D and disengage it because of traffic, it
likely wont catch when I reengage it.   It
seems to only take a few minutes to fix itself, as I had to pull over for a
cellphone call and a 2 minute call was
enough to make it happy, however driving without the O/D for a while doesnt
satisfy the gods of De Normanville nearly
as well.

The solenoid seems to activate every time Ive tested it in the driveway and
the fluid level is fine, so Im
guessing the little arm needs some fine adjustment, Ive lined up the arm on
the opposite side of the o/d housing with
that little hole using a screw (when solenoid is engaged) so its fairly
close, Im thinking its only a tiny
adjustment thats required.

My question is: is that a tiny adjustment up or a tiny adjustment down?
;)   The reason Im asking is
its a pain to jack the car, crawl under and make the adjustment, then drive
around until its warm only to have to
crawl under again if Ive gone the wrong way.

I thought this gang would help improve my odds from 50/50

Thanks,

Art.