[TR] TR-7 Steering Column Question

William L. Smith smithw1 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 16 08:50:04 MDT 2007

The grommet/bushing where the steering column passes through the firewall on
my TR-7 has disintegrated and needs replacement.  Several questions:

1.	Is this grommet made of a hard material similar to the nylon
bushings used on the TR-6 gas pedal shaft (I think the TR-6 bushings are
made of hard nylon), or is it made of a softer material?
2.	Does anyone have suggestions of an easy way how this bushing can be
replaced without removing the entire steering column?
3.	BTW, one of the gas pedal shaft bushings on my TR-6 has also failed
again.  I seem to recall hearing a number of years ago about a softer
bushing that is easier to install.  Does anyone have any information on it?

Thanks,

Bill Smith

'72 TR-6/'80TR-7