[TR] Cool moving Windshield Wipers

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Jul 12 21:08:09 MDT 2007

I think I brought this up before...
I'm hopefully doing the last installation of my windshield wipers on my TR3.
Because I want to be 'cool', I decided to try and see if I can make them slap
back-and-forth in a opposite manner. (so that the two wiper blades meet in the
middle)  Someone told me this was possible.
    But in order to do it I think I might leave out the straight middle tube
(that the cable moves in).  If you recall there are 3 tubing segments: the one
closest to the motor is curved, then this straight middle tube between the two
wheelboxes, and finally a short stub which is beyond the last wheelbox.
Normally (I think), both wheel boxes are oriented exactly alike, resulting in
both wipers operating identical.  However, by revolving one wheelbox 180
degrees, the gears engage the cable in the opposite direction.
    This should be kosher, except for THE SLIGHTLY LONGER middle-straight-tube
THAT SHOULD be required (as the cable contacts the gears on opposite sides of
the spindles).  In fact, I might be able to get by without installing this
middle straight tube that covers the moving cable.  No worry (I think, as this
is well out of reach and under the dash and just below the vent hood box.)

Is there anything wrong with leaving out this straight middle tube?

thanks, Paul Dorsey
      60 TR3