[TR] OT: TVR 2500M

Skip Gurnee skip47 at powernet.net
Thu Jul 12 17:47:23 MDT 2007

Bill S. wrote:
> Howdy all.  Any thoughts from the collective on whether I should dive
> into the TVR world and pick up a fairly clean '74 2500M?  Thanks!
I reply:
Buy it!  My list of why you should is VERY long, based on 37 years of owning
a Vixen S2.  The drivetrain and brakes in yours are well known to many of
us, and should offer few problems.  In fact, the only hard-to-replace parts
in the drivetrain would be the rear uprights.  I have replaced everything
except them in mine as I doubled the horsepower, and the uprights work just
fine.   The only rust possibility is where the body meets the tube frame.
Look for cracks in the tubes where the engine mounts connect.  They're
easily weldable.
The fun factor is off the charts.  The car is quick and handles well, and
you'll meet lots of people with questions, particularly "what is it?"....
even more than Triumph gets.
Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4 (my first car-needs restoration)
65 TR4A (slowly deteriorating project)
67 Lotus Cortina (needs work)
70 TVR Vixen S2 (race car-where all the time and money goes)