[TR] TR4 Distributors

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 10:02:36 MDT 2007

> As things slowly chug along on my TR4 resto, I find myself
> with 2 distributors to pick from.  I have a DM2 and 25D.  I
> plan on going to negative ground & using a Pertronix, but it
> looks like Pertronix has a different kit for each
> distributor.  I am wondering if there are any inherent
> differences between the 2 distributors, or if one is any
> better than the other.

John, IMO the 25D design is slightly better.  Simpler, with fewer pivot
points to wear, and possibly easier to get parts for.  But keep in mind that
there are many different variations within each model number, with different
advance curves to suit different engines.  Also, while the Pertronix will
compensate to some extent for wear in the main bushing, it cannot compensate
for wear in the advance mechanisms.

So, assuming you are comparing a 40735 DM2 to a 40795 25D (which are both
for TR4 engines and have the same advance curves); I would choose the one in
the better condition.

Randall