[TR] Oil and Water

zoboherald at aol.com zoboherald at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 08:56:20 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gillis <jgillis at tcd.ie>

I am near the turn the engine over stage, I have obtained running in
oil (of the classic variety) and I was wondering how soon before I
actually try and start the engine should I put the oil in, is there any
advantage to waiting for the day or is it useful to have it sitting in
the sump for a while beforehand.

==AM==
I could be wrong, but I don't really think there's any particular
advantage either way. Seems to me that the oil isn't really going to
get everywhere it needs to be until the engine is spun over enough to
allow the oil pump to fill and then spread the oil throughout the
moving bits. Some folks like to remove the distributor and spin the oil
pump to help "prime" everything. Assuming, though, that you used some
sort of assembly lube on bearings, etc., I don't know that you wouldn't
be just as well off turning the engine with the starter (and ignition
disabled) until you see oil pressure registering on the gauge.
==AM==

The second question is what
should I put in the radiator, water, water/antifreeze or coolant, is
there an
opinion on what's best for the sidescreen set-up. BTW this is Ireland
where
conditions are never more extreme than +28C and -4C.

==AM==
The age-old debate. ;-) Again, I'd think that some proportion of a
quality anti-freeze would be a good thing for corrosion inhibiting as
well as raising somewhat the boiling point of the coolant. For initial
startup, though, probably just water would be fine. If nothing else,
you won't have wasted any antifreeze should you discover small leaks in
the cooling system!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>