[TR] Gear Oil Question

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sun Dec 23 16:43:25 MST 2007

This is probably about as basic a question as you can ask but....I'd rather
ask and look dumb that not ask at all!

Herman recommends the following gear oils for the Toyota 5 speed: Redline
Gear Oil 75W Valvoline GL 5 80-90W, Kendall Gear Oil 75W or..... API Gear
Oil GL4 or GL5.

Is API a type of Gear Oil or a is it a standard that various oil oils must
meet? For example, I saw Castrol Gear Oil with the API GL5 designation on
the label. It just seemed strange that he specified Redline, Valvoline and
Kendall by brand name.

Thanks

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U