[TR] clearing & sealing the brake lines

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Dec 20 19:18:22 MST 2007

A couple other questions about brake systems:
(even though I should have learned this several years ago)

At that time, many of 'my' flares/fittings leaked.  Randall proably hit the
nail on the head, reminding me post-facto that British fittings are unthreaded
at the end.  Well, what about the flares themselves?  There are several types:
single, double, bubble or double trouble, etc.
1.   Seriously, do American Bubble flares interchange with British Bubble
flares?  Or is it just a matter of getting the right kind of 'fittings'?

2. Can there be a 'expertly-done' (brass) union on a brake line.  The reason
is simply to extend the line.

3. I've blown thru my brake lines with 100psi compressed but 'dry' air, then
brake cleaner followed by more compressed air.  I have not removed or
disassembled my new master cylinders or slave cylinder (although,
unfortunately, I let some Dot 4 brake fluid dry in them).  I have heeded the
advice regarding not spraying brake cleaner into any of these cylinders.   My
question is: can I blow thru both the master and slave cylinders by putting
the 100psi nozzle (for only 2 seconds) up to either 'one' of the two brake
fluid ports and blowing them clear?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey  , 60 TR3A