[TR] Toyota 5 Speed/Nissan Diff

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Thu Dec 20 18:09:21 MST 2007

Last night I posted a question about who had the Toyota 5 speed and Nissan
diff combo and if they had to shorten their drive shaft. I got a lot of off
list responses and no one had shortened their drive shaft except for one
person. This morning I had a 30 minute call with Herman to understand (or
try to) why he now says it HAS to be shortened. Basically, there are 2 slips
in this set up: Slip 1 is the flange on the rear of the tranny and Slip 2 is
in the drive shaft. Both slips can move in and out, effectively lengthening
or shortening the overall length. If the tranny flange is moved in too far
it will damage the rear seal over time causing it to leak and eventually
leak bad enough to cause total fluid loss. It's happened to one owner
already while on a drive & destroyed the tranny. If the flange moves out too
far (more then 7/8" from the seal) it causes a whipping action which will
wreck the tranny bearings. Herman says to have the driveshaft cut to length,
remove the slip and end up with a solid drive shaft with no clamp. I'm only
the messenger so If you have questions, you might want to contact Herman
directly.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection