[TR] TR3 to TR6 clutch slave line?

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Thu Dec 20 13:03:56 MST 2007

I am restoring a '60 TR3a that I bought as an abandoned project.

The  30" to 40" line which runs from the clutch master cylinder to the slave
cylinder looks as though it had previously been repaired.  It was made of a
'stiff and sturdy' plastic RED tube (1/4" in dia.), hose clamped to 3/16"
British fittings.  However, I want to replace it with a steel line.  My local
parts place has this piece, with the correct flared ends and fittings, but it
is 3/16" line.  It should be ok, but, I wanted to check first with the list.
TIA.

    Secondly, I wish to ask, "since this 1/4" red plastic tube has proably
worked fine with brake fluid for 30 years or so, I am wondering where it came
from?"  My local parts dealers don't have any plastic or rubber tubing that is
meant to carry brake fluid.  Seems like someone told me that a TR6 had a red
plastic clutch line and most likely this 'tube' is therefore meant for brake
fluid.   My main question again is, "is a 3/16" clutch master to slave ok?"

TIA,
Paul Dorsey