[TR] Vacuum advance/retard

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Dec 20 12:05:59 MST 2007

I sent this before but uncle mjb's size filter cut it off.

On 20 Dec 2007 at 11:23, Nolan wrote:

> While vacuum advance can have some running benefits, vacuum
> retard does not.

About VA, when you open the throttle the vacuum *diminishes*.  At
wide-open throttle VA does nothing at all.  Ideally you set the
timing for best full-power, regulated only by centrifugal advance
which acts on engine speed, and that's the best it can be.

So why VA?  When the throttle is partly closed, air entering the
cylinder is less dense so the flame front spreads more slowly.  So
you can afford to advance the timing to get more power *for that
particular throttle setting*.  Without VA the timing is delayed from
ideal, but if you want more power at any time while driving you
simply push the loud pedal more.  The ultimate power limit is still
the same, VA or no.

Vacuum retard was for at-idle only, to improve emissions.  As Nolan
wrote:
> ...nothing on the vacuum cans to indicate which...

True, but you can figure it out on the dizzy.  Note which on side of
the diaphram the hose attaches.  That's the direction the diaphram
will move when vacuum is present.  If it pulls the dizzy base plate
the same direction as the dizzy shaft spins then vacuum will retard
the timing.

At the other end, if the port is on the manifold or the base of the
carb its vacuum will go down progressively as the throttle is opened,
so it must be meant for VA.  If the port is right at the butterfly
its vacuum goes away completely as the throttle is opened even a
little, so it must be meant for VR.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com