[TR] Oil Pump Pressure

Ibsen Dow flashtr3 at cox.net
Sun Dec 16 11:40:08 MST 2007

Fellas,

I am in need for some opinions here. I just recently rebuilt my TR3 engine and
just went to started it yesterday. The engine fired up with the first turn of
starter & as I was checking the oil pressure from the gauge, there was none.
I replaced the rotors in the pump and check for end float, when the engine was
torn down. It seemed ok. There is oil that is coming from the plugs in the oil
gallery when I removed it, as well from the oil filter housing assy where the
oil pressure line comes off to the sending unit.
Disconnecting the oil pressure line at the oil gauge line connection, there is
no oil coming out.
I then took of the distributor housing and removed the drive tach gear and
removed the oil pump drive stem & replaced with a makeshift longer stem
attached to my drill motor and in the direction ccw was able to see oil flow
come up the drive and seemed to be circulating in the engine when I removed
oil gallery plugs. I have rebuilt TR engines over many years, and never
encountered this problem before, but I guess there is always a first time.
My question to the list is:
1. Is the pump faulty?
2. What other areas would you check to see if the oil pump is circulating
oil?
2. Rather then replace the rotors again, would I be better off with a new pump
and what type or aftermarket is available?
Thanks for advice in advance,
Ibsen
59' TR3A
TS35658LO