[TR] re Shimmy at 50 - now: exhst mount

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 14:28:03 MST 2007

 I believe the design is so manifold and down pipe, and mid-pipe, 'become one
with the engine'.. ie; engine and tranny rotates under torque, and manifold,
downpipe, and mid-pipe match movement. If they weren't fixed together solidly
like this (manifold to tranny mount) this you'd get damaging 'flexing' among
the in-between pieces.
regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

   I've always wondered about the exhaust hanger that connects to the
transmission on overdrive cars.  It's just a metal hangar with no rubber
isolation and it's bolted to the rear of the overdrive.   Has anyone
tried anything to isolate the exhaust from metal on metal contact with
the transmission?  I'm wondering if it would cut some of the vibration
felt at the shifter.  John Mitchell  76TR6