[TR] TR3A top speed & horn sound

Jack W. Drews vinttr4 at geneseo.net
Tue Dec 11 08:18:23 MST 2007

Q:

At 08:19 AM 12/11/2007, amcewen2 at cogeco.ca wrote:
Just curious, does anybody know what the period road tests recorded
for the top speed of the TR3?  I remember reading
the early Top speed model did a high speed run to 125mph but I'm
assuming that was with wheel spats and no windscreen etc.. I'm
curious about the standard car.

Also does anybody have a recording of the horn?  (mp3 or wav format).

Thanks,

Art.

A.

According to Road and Track of the era, stats went like this:

TR2,1954

Top speed 95.9 no overdrive
103.8 in OD

TR3 - 1956- one more ft lb torque
R & T recorded top end at 105
Factory said 108
0-60 12 sec

TR4 was leaps and bounds better (haha)
factory said top end 110
0 - 60 10.5

By comparison, R & T reports on the Kastner TR4A at Bonneville
140 hp on the engine dyno
Timed runs on the salt flats were 128.2  with Webers and 127 with
SU's. The team felt that they could have gotten 135 mph with better
salt conditions.

It's amusing to me that the technical problems encountered were
flywheel bolts shearing off and oil pump drive failure -- both of
these problems are still common on vintage race cars if you don't use
ARP bolts to hold on the flywheel and if you don't radius the ears on
the oil pump. These problems almost never occur on street cars.