[TR] Advice sought please!

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 10 18:03:36 MST 2007

On Sunday 09 December 2007 08:16 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:

>     I'll go ahead and confess right now, there is one particular (inside)
> bolt on one caliper that I had to remove in order to get the wheel to turn
> hard in that direction.  What I am saying is that the left caliper's
> bottom's inside bolt head came into contact with the spring pan's mounting
> bolt when turned very hard to the left.  Mind you, the car was not
> driveable, and in reality, I'll make sure nothing comes close to intefering
> with the final result. One possibilty is to fasten this one spring pan bolt
> with something headless, like a carriage bolt.  Has anyone had this
> problem??????????????????????????????????????????????????????  Perhaps this
> 'sharp' a turn is never really encountered with the tires mounted, or is
> that false?

Paul,

Something is wrong here. The caliper should not even come close to the spring
pan. And if correctly mounted, no part of the caliper should prevent turning.
That is once the steering stops are correctly adjusted.

Also, use the correct bolts to attach the spring pan to the lower wishbone
components. I believe they are grade 8 or above.

Lots of tension here once assembled with the spring.

One other question, is the bolt that is hitting the spring pan,the correct
bolt to attach the caliper to the caliper mounting plate? This is a very
special bolt as Randall pointed out in a post about a month ago.

Bob