[TR] Vibration

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 10 16:11:27 MST 2007

George Hahn wrote:

> Can a driveshaft that has been in service for years suddenly need balancing?

Yes, it certainly can! This is a typical Triumph 'bete noire'  A hitherto non-vibrating shaft can
suddenly go out of balance with the spot-welded weight flying off because of rust, weak weld or
whatever. It's happened to me on 2 Heralds, a Vitesse and a GT6. While it's off the car, it might be
a good idea to fit new u/j's. Word of advice, before removing the thing from the car, paint a white
spot on the mating faces of the shaft where it bolts to the gearbox and diff nose. That way, you'll
know where to refit as it was before removal. This is an *exacting science* taught to me by an
expert on Herald propshaft vibration. He said it all helped to make a 'good difference' but who am I
to query the logic. I guess he'd re-balanced more shafts than I've had hot dinners. Also, do try to
ensure the u/j yokes maintain their relationship to one another. Having done all that, get it
professionally balanced and for safety sake I'd fit two of those nylon electrical cable ties around
the new weight at either end to ensure it doesn't fly off at a later date. Just keep the clip
buckles at 180deg to one another to be sure.

Cheers, Jonmac