[TR] egr valve

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Dec 9 08:10:45 MST 2007

On 9 Dec 2007 at 4:27, john doe wrote:

> does the egr valve have any real purpose or can it be blancked off

That depends on how well the rest of your emissions control system
works.  Those systems had to manage a tradeoff between unburned
hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx.  IIRC, running lean would reduce CO, but
NOx would go up.  EGR was intended to reduce combustion temperatures
to lower NOx.  A pump also dumped air into the exhaust to help the
catalyst take care of any unburned HC's.  If the rest of your
emission system still works as intended you should leave the EGR in
place.  On the other hand, there's no point running it if it doesn't
work.  Maybe you can test the exhaust with it and without it, see
what difference it makes, then decide.

Just my opinion.  I'm sure others will be able to provide more
insight.  I value clean air.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com