[TR] My speedo won't fit

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Dec 7 15:11:37 MST 2007

> I have installed a J type on an early tranny and the right
> angle drive that
> I got for the J type from TRF does not fit.  It is a screw
> type and the one  I
> have appears to be a press fit held on tot he case by a
> machine screw.
> Anyone know what I should be looking for?

I believe the adapter is TRF P/N NKC43; Moss 866-970.  That should include
the clamp, but not the bolt.

Looks like you are also missing the seal around the shaft, TRF NKC105A; Moss
461-445.

But the drive gear looks to be usable.  Drive ratio will almost certainly be
wrong unless you've changed the gears though, as the J-type TR6 used a
different speedo calibration than the earlier TRs (like your TR4) did.  I
think to get the TR4 ratio, you'll need a 6-start gear inside the OD, plus a
15 tooth pinion.

Randall