[TR] TR3 &4 fuel tank size

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 21:21:16 MST 2007

> Would a TR4 fuel tank fit in a TR3A?

No idea, but seems unlikely to me.  The TR4 body is wider than the TR3, so I
suspect the TR4 tank would not fit between the TR3 wheel wells.

>  The normal size fuel
> tank for a TR3 held
> 12.5 gal. (according to the manuel).

Don't forget those are Imperial gallons.  TR4 only held 13.75, so not much
increase for what I suspect is a whole lot of work.

>  As there was proably
> only one size for a TR3,

Actually, I believe it changed slightly twice, as the tank was reconfigured
to fit the body.  Unfortunately, it went down slightly each time.  My 3A was
12.0 Imperial and ISTR post-60K tanks were only 11.75 Imperial.

> I am thinking that a larger tank
> might fit my TR3 since I am willing to sacrifice back seat
> space for it.  Does anyone think it's too big?

Well, I have to say that even when I was younger, it was always welcome to
stop to fill the tank on long trips.  Now I usually won't even drive out a
full tank before taking a break, so a bigger tank would really not be a help
to me.  You should be able to go at least 300 miles on a tank (highway
driving), which is plenty for me.

I love my TR, but the wind, vibration and noise do take a toll on long
trips.

Randall