[TR] What time is your distributor?

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Wed Dec 5 14:30:51 MST 2007

I am still several weeks away from starting my TR3's engine (it came from a
TR4).  I know there is a typical and simple way to figure out when TDC (top
dead center) occurs.   I also know how this is done.   However, just based on
replies to this post, I wish to see where on the distributor and cap, and
orientation of cap does firing of cylinder No. #1 supposedly occur.  The
reason is that I've been told that my cap's orientation is 45 degrees 'turned'
from most folks.  So, please bear with me.......
      Please don't answer these questions if your car is not properly timed...

(1)   Do you have 2138cc's as opposed to the earlier 1991cc's?
(2)   Do you know if it is a DM2 distributor?

If one stands on the left side of the car, with the bonnet open, and stands
directly over the distributor,
(3)   where is the the cap's no.# 1 wire? (What position on a clock dial?)
(4)   What direction does the vacuum advance point?
(5)   What position is the little wire enter the dist. that comes from the
coil and goes to the points at?
(6)   With the cap still on, and hoping that it is a British Style cap (2
lower, 2 upper wire cap), which direction does the cap point (because of cap's
top coil wire)?

I will summarize these answers in a soon-to-be post.  Watch for it....
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey, '60 TR3 ( with a TR4 engine)  CTsomething or another