[TR] Lower A Arms & Zerks

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 4 15:37:04 MST 2007

If memory serves, the TR6 design was different, in that the outer
A-arm/trunnion joint had "self-lubricating" nylon sleeves instead of the
brass bushings used on the TR2-4.  Hence they (at least in theory) did not
need periodic lubrication.

The joint between the trunnion and vertical link also changed; the TR2-4
version had a zerk for grease in the bottom of the trunnion, while the TR6
version had a zerk for gear oil built into the vertical link.  I don't know
all the changes (nor do I really want to reopen the religious wars), but it
seems reasonable to me to follow the factory recommendation (for oil vs
grease) for the components you are using.

I have no experience with the TR6 setup, but the TR3 setup seems to last a
long time IF you are religious about greasing all those dang zerks.  The
inner pivots with nylon on steel also seem to last reasonably well with no
periodic lubrication, and I would guess the same extends to the
nylon-on-steel outer joints on the TR6.  That said, I added grease zerks
when I converted to Nylatron bushings (which in theory need it even less
than the nylon did), "just because".

Opinions will vary of course.  Mine is that the HF oil can conversion
doesn't work very well unless you also re-engineer the oil can.  After
finding that the lever would bend even without anything connected to the
outlet, I went this route instead :
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/trunnion-oil.shtml

Randall