[TR] TR6 Jacking Point

Scott Suhring suhringtr36 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 04:58:35 MST 2007

After discussions with others about the merits of jacking a TR using the
single point in the front and back versus the 4 corner method (which I have
used for the past 12 years), I decided to give this a try. I lifted the
front first using the center of the cross frame on the chassis and this
worked well (I did the front first so as to assure no car drift since I had
the emergency brake on and in gear).  As with my TR3, I went to the rear
with the intent to place the jack pad under the differential and lift from
that point.  Well, with the '70 TR6, I cannot jack this coming from the rear
since there is not enough clearance due to the muffler's position. I can get
the jack far enough back to reach the diff, but the lifting arm hits the
muffler.

For those who have done this, is there another lifting point to use? Do you
come in from a different position to get to the diff (such as the front side
of the rear wheels)? Do you add 2x4 blocks to the jack pad to raise the
contact point so the arm obstruction is resolved?

TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6