[TR] Fw: Sparked out

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Sat Dec 1 10:13:26 MST 2007

I assume the electrode was attached to the now departed body of the plug ...
if so, the good news is that you are left with a pilot hole that will help
center any easy out or drill that you use.

I am not sure that any easy out will do much good, and it may end up doing
more harm.  The fact the threaded section has seized to the point where it
 sheared does sorta tell you that it is well and truly stuck!  If the head
it
 an alloy head, and you can get a lot of heat to the offending plug without
 incinerating anything else important, you "might" find an easy out will
 work.

 My son has a similar problem with an alloy head, caused by what looked like
 long term corrosion (and probably some dielectric effect as well).  We
 drilled out the most of the body with a 9/16" drill.  Once drilled, it was
 possible to "extract" what was left from the threaded section.  I am
 guessing the heating, vibration and plain good fortune smiling on us,
 allowed the threaded bit to be levered out using picks and needle nose
 pliers.  If that hadn't have worked, we did have the tapping drill (21/32")
 and the 14x1.25 tap, so we would have drilled and tapped the thread once
 more.

 Once this part is over, you will need to be able to put a pneumatic blow
gun
 through the spark plug hole and blow the debris and crap out.  Really take
 you time on this stage .... once thoroughly blown, I removed all the plugs
 and pulled of the igniter pack feed and turned the engine over on the
 starter for a good while too.  Once it has started and run up to temp. I
 suggest changing the oil as well.

 If all this is too much, just pull the harness connector off the injector
 for this cylinder (it will be on the fuel rail that runs along the side of
 the valley).  That will stop that injector admitting fuel to the cylinder
 and diluting your oil, etc., and live with the chuffing and puffing until
 things get warm!

 Good luck,