[TR] More on valve adjusting

BearTranserv at aol.com BearTranserv at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 09:51:03 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/27/2007 8:49:14 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
jimmuller at rcn.com writes:

But I  remember years ago (okay,
decades ago) watching someone adjusting valves  while the engine was
running.  Okay, it was some boring American iron  and probably running
about 400 rpm.  IIRC it wasn't even too  messy.  I've never had the
nerve to try it  myself.

The last time I adjusted the valves on a Triumph (62 TR3) was in  1970, in
the yard in front of the trailer I lived in while going to college....I  used
just this method you describe.  Listening through a length of hose,  tightening
until it quits clacking, and then backing off just a smidge.  It  ran great
when I finished.  It was a bit messy, but not too bad.

A couple of years later on my 53 Chevy pickup with the in-line six, I cut a
flap in the top of an extra valve cover and used the same method to adjust
those  valves.

I've seen my dad use a feeler guage while an engine was running.

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4

As he stared at her ample  bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg
carburetors in his vintage  Triumph, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,
perched prominently on top of  the intake manifold, aching for experienced
hands, the small knurled caps of the  oil dampeners begging to be inspected and
adjusted as
described in chapter  seven of the shop manual.
Dan McKay