[TR] Loud timing chain

Brian Induni 308gtsi at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 27 10:34:29 MDT 2007

Hello all,

As I drive my just finished '67 TR4a for the first time, I'm noticing some
growls and noises that are concerning - the first is what sounds to the
timing chain. At first I thought it was the valves, but then a neighbor who
apparently has had a few TR's said "no, that's the timing chain rattling
against the tensioner". Makes sense to me! Any thoughts from the group on if
this is normal, and should I be concerned?

It makes the clatter when I unload the engine, that is when I lift my foot
from the accelerator to shift.

I should note that the engine has LOTS of torque, and accelerates like a
dragster from standstill! I went with the 87mm upgrade when I rebuilt the
engine, and had the head completely rebuilt, and it was all worth it!

Thanks for the help.

Brian

'67 TR4a, showing at the Portland OR All British Field Meet this weekend.