[TR] Restoration expert stole my car

Steve Thornton sothornton at stevethorntonlaw.com
Fri Aug 24 10:27:52 MDT 2007

Brian et al-

I agree that you should have a police report filed and an investigation
started. That may cause a criminal case to be developed against the
restoration "expert." However, I caution you to not use the criminal process
to gain a civil advantage. In other words, don't use the criminal process as
a collection agency. If you do, in Kentucky at least, that can also be a
crime or give rise to a civil action called abuse of process.

I would certainly hate to see you victimized twice. Scam artists often seem
to know how to "work" the system and this is one way they often do it.

I would suggest employing an attorney on a contingent fee basis, where he or
she receives a portion of the money recovered. I suspect there might be
several attorneys that are car friendly who might be willing to help.

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY