[TR] aux rocker oil feed

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Tue Aug 21 11:46:51 MDT 2007

I agree with Randall.  I had the external rocker oil feed on my TR6 and after
several years of use, I was getting puffs of oil from the exhaust upon
start-up and the engine began to use oil .   I suspected the external oiler
since the rest of my engine - and its compression - were OK.  I  removed the
external oiler and the puffs of smoke and oil consumption disappeared - to my
great relief.

My conclusion: An external rocker oil feed could well create more problems
than it's supposed to solve.

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, tr3driver at ca.rr.com wrote:

	> I'm hearing that the aux. oiler may not be such a good idea after all. Any
	> thoughts?

				And then Randall replied:

				I agree, not such a good idea, IMO.  As long as you keep the passage
through the rocker shaft open, the valves & rockers will get enough oil but
not too much.  The external feed puts way too much oil on top of the head,
which results in excessive oil burning unless you also add valve stem seals,
which in turn rob the stems of the oil they need for long life.