[TR] what's wrong with this picture?

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Mon Aug 20 21:18:17 MDT 2007

Philip E. Barnes wrote:
> http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=040Y004C000091&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Gosh!! is Maple Grove Speedway still open?!?  Man, that was one of my
high school day hangouts.
There is nothing wrong with that photo ...
Had that photo been taken 37 years ago, my 1973 Triumph Herald Sport
1200 Convertible (dual SU carbs and header with a muffler bypass) was in
that exact spot in a grudge match against a stock 1500 MGA.  Blazingly
fast 1/4 mile it was for me, something just under 20 seconds.  I wonder
if Maple Grove has that one in their record books!?!

I wonder if that MGA racer in the picture is the guy I won against
(bracket race) and he had to build it bigger and better??

Same day, I raced against my friends SS396 400bhp Camaro in another
bracket race.  I had a full 10+ seconds lead before he red lighted, beat
him too!  Difference was my trap speed was like 63 mph, his was 130 mph.
He never lived that one down.  Buy the end of the day I had 4 burned
exhaust valves and still had to drive home

A few years later I was returned with my TR250 against my neighbor's
TR6.  Beat him by 0.2 seconds.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)