[TR] Lucas Beer in Stereo ++ Very True Story

Michael Porter portermd at zianet.com
Sun Aug 19 22:50:51 MDT 2007

tr3driver at ca.rr.com wrote:
>> To test good "shine or lighting"
>> pour a shot on a table top then light it, better burn blue, if it's green
>> don't drink, it's lead alcohol and very deadly,
>>

> Well, I just learned something !  I knew it was common practise to use an old truck radiator for the condensor, and the shine would leach the lead out of the solder ... but never knew how to test for it.

If I remember my chemistry correctly, flame tests for copper ions are
also green.  The difference in color should be noted--copper burns
bluish-green, while a pale sea-foam green color indicates lead.  So,
someone being very careful to exclude lead from their copper distilling
equipment would be tarred unfairly by this flame test.  As well, this
test would indicate little about the much greater danger in
moonshine--wood alcohol.  All commonly available alcohols burn with a
light, barely perceptible blue flame, and it would take some discernment
to note the flame difference between methanol and ethanol.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....