[TR] Speaking of Lucas and lighting...(tinting glass)

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 17 15:28:59 MDT 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007 09:22 am, v6spitfireguy at cox.net wrote:
> Does anybody have a good way of tinting or coloring the inside of a glass
> front parking lamp lens to an amber color?  I have tried using an amber
> 1157 (small) type bulb with no luck.  The bulb has to be the small one inch
> ROUND not oblong (hot air balloon) type or it wont fit.   The coating on
> them (or the ones that I have) eventually just burns off and you are left
> with a white or slightly yellowish bulb -
> I have also tried using LED bulbs but A, they are not as bright no matter
> how many LEDs they contain ( trust me, I have tried a bunch and still have
> them laying around in my bulb drawer), I can barely see the park lamp
> illumination in the daytime  and B,  the ELECTRONIC flasher, the one
> that is supposed to work no matter what bulb type you have, does not flash
> when I use an LED lamp  -
> So - I am looking to tint or color the inside amber so I can just use a
> standard 1157 type bulb
> And no, I cant just get a colored glass for this unit or I would have
> already :-)
>
> Open to suggestions
>
> Barry Schwartz
> La Mesa, CA

Barry,

These lenses are std equipment on the TR4 and available on ebay every so
often. I believe they were mostly on the European versions.

I got a set on ebay for the 4 to match the TR250 style rear amber lenses.

Now I can see the difference between my 3 and 4!

Not sure if the 3 and 4 front directional lense is the same for the Spitfire
but I think they are.

Bob