[TR] solenoid & ballast resistor

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Aug 17 06:25:35 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/16/2007 9:55:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
tom628 at verizon.net writes:
> While troubleshooting a starter problem I found that  the solenoid for my
> '76 TR6 does not have a terminal for a W/Y wire to supply 12V to the coil
> during starting, bypassing the ballast resistor, as shown in Dan Masters'
> schematic for the '76.
> I have a Crane XR700 system, with the Crane coil and Crane ballast resistor.
>
> No original k/w ballast wire to the coil.
> I'm thinking of running a wire from the lower heavy terminal on the
> solenoid (the one energized when the solenoid pulls in) to the coil positive
>
> terminal so that the coil can get the full 12V during starting.
> Anyone see any flawed thinking or pitfalls in this approach?
> BTW, Dan's info is so much more detailed and informative and model-specific
> than the Haynes manual , as I'm sure almost everyone knows.

It won't work.  If you do that the ballast resistor will be feeding current
to both the coil and the starter motor.  Of course there will be no voltage
because the motor is such a low resistance.

Leave the wire loose.  It will work fine in most instances.

Dave