[TR] Lucas Electrics

zoboherald at aol.com zoboherald at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 07:46:26 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul at negia.net>

The homegrown auto-electrician who rebuilt starters, generators, etc.
(from
the 60's to present) told me how 'dependable' Lucas starters were.  I'm
conflicted...please enlighten me...um, encandle me?

==AM==
As examples, I did have to have the original generator in my '62 Herald
rebuilt a couple of years ago. And I also had to pull out the original
starter after the bolts holding it loosened up and the drive got
busted/jammed. It still spins fine, and I'll have it repaired sometime
soon; meanwhile, I threw in another starter that was lying around in
the barn (that starter is only about 35 years old).

My '52 Mayflower has its original starter and generator as well.

In nearly 40 years of driving Triumphs, the electrical components have
-- by far -- been the least of my problems.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>