[TR] Regrinding TR3 lifters

AMfoto1 at aol.com AMfoto1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 12:27:16 MDT 2007

Hi Mike,

Have they actually inspected each and every one of your cam followers and
signed off that they can be reground? They need to be able to remove any and all
pitting on the face, and they cannot have any cracks. If they pass initial
tests, when done right regrinding is a good option if you are totally certain
they are originals. The originals were good quality, the problems have been some
softer replacements offered over the years. You could have them tested for
hardness, too. I think you want more than Rockwell 50... more like 54 or 56 if
memory serves. There are also some guidelines in Kas Kastners books about how to
lighten the stock lifters very effectively and safely, if interested.

The alternative is new followers, such as Ken at
www.britishframeandendine.com offers. He's got two types, one being the GT40 lifter with a special sleeve,
ala Racetorations. High quality, but about twice the price. Also I've heard
occasionally they are not a good match with the end of the pushrod, so that's
something to check. Also, www.bpnorthwest.com and www.tsimportedautomotive.com
probably can help. Greg Sulow at The Engine Room in Santa Cruz Calif. might
have really high end followers avail., if you want to spend some serious bucks.
Last I heard he was experimenting with ceramic!

Your cam probably needs to be hardened before putting it back in service.
This is not normally done during regrind. And, are you replacing the push rods,
too? Is the rest of the rocker assembly being rebuilt?

Be sure to read up on proper cam shaft lube and breakin. The first 10-20
minutes are critical.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
amfoto1 at aol.com
'62 TR4 CT176092L
http://www.triumphowners.com/640  (http://www.triumphowners.com/640)

I am getting ready to drop my TR3 camshaft off at Oregon Cam Grinding
Inc. to have a stock profile regrind done on it. Normally I would
install new lifters on a reground cam, but I have read so many negative
things about the lifters that are currently available. The folks at
Oregon Cam Grinding say that they can regrind my old lifters to the
proper profile for $4 each. I have done some searches but haven't found
much discussion regarding regrinding old factory TR3 lifters. Has anyone
had any good or bad experiences with having lifters reground?

 (http://www.triumphowners.com/640)