[TR] Radiator Cap Pressure Rating

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Aug 14 05:50:54 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/13/2007 7:38:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org writes:
> While poking through the 6-Pack forums, I saw a post on the impact of
> radiator caps and thermostats on cooling the car. I understand the
> thermostat impact but what does the radiator cap do cooling wise? It
somehow
> raises or lowers the boiling point? I checked and my car has a 4 lb cap
> while Moss &TRF state that a 13 lb cap is needed for my model year. Does
> the 4 lb cap make the car run hotter or cooler?

The cap will not make the car run cooler but it will allow it to run hotter
without boiling the coolant.  If your car is boiling over with a 4 lb cap, try
a 13 lb cap.  If it ain't boiling over, don't worry about it.  But the 13 lb
cap will put more stress on the cooling system.  That's the trade-off.

Personal experience: When I put my TR8 back on the road I used my original
cap (in an ill-advised attempt for originality) which unbeknownst to me was
not
holding pressure at all.  Result: no problems during the month of driving
around St. Louis but as soon as I hit 5,000 ft in altitude I had serious
boil-over
problem when I shut down. One of the many things I tried to resolve the issue
was replace the cap and voir l`, problem solved.  Even at the almost 13,000
ft mountain passes in Colorado.

The short answer is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Dave