[TR] TR3A stub axle removal

ZoboHerald at aol.com ZoboHerald at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 21:37:00 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/11/2007 8:54:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tfansher at comcast.net writes:

...wheel bearing problem with the
driver's front. I had time to  tackle it today and all went well until it was
time to "tap" out the stub  axle.  I've beaten on the back side ( with the nut
on) for a couple of  hours now and nothing.  I got  a 1.25" pipe and with a
washer  tried to use a nut on the front side to pull it out and applied a
whack
or  two to the back side .. again nothing.  I've sprayed it with brake
cleaner
- both sides - and PB Blaster....

==AM==
Here's what worked for me many years ago. With the caliper out of the  way,
reassemble the rotor/hub (as best you can with the bad bearing[s]) and  put the
wheel back on. Now you've got leverage to pull on while someone else
"persuades" the back side of the stub axle to flee from its taper fit.  Granted, when
I did this it was on a bodyless TR4 rolling chassis, but it  worked for me.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a  jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your,  er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines  Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and
Triumph Herald Database at its  new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)